Here is the Candy Pop Quilt all done! It is machine quilted using my Singer 401A and a wide zig zag style stitch. Took a bit of a short cut and folded the backing over as the binding as I just loved the fabric.
And here it is hanging on the new to me quilt rack.
The mystery quilt was packed up and shipped off in November, not directly to its intended recipient but to a nearby family member who was in on the surprise. Jane had agreed to properly wrap it and deliver to Beth for Christmas. Since it has been received, I can share full pictures.
This is my own design. I looked long and hard for fabric that had sheep that was not meant for a nursery and finally found just what I wanted on eQuilter.com. I ended up sourcing all the cuts from them that I needed, and as I tend to do, overbought slightly, but that meant oopsies weren’t causing stress. The batting is Warm & Natural Cotton batting. This I buy off the bolt when I have those 50% off coupons from Joann’s and get several yards of the largest width available. The woolly sheep shapes are all appliqued onto the black and red checkered background (one is actually reversed applique). The quilting was all done by hand using variegated perle cotton in sizes 16, 12 and 8 and selections of red/black or white/black cuts. The size 16 is a Presencia Finca thread and the 12 and 8 are Valdani – all sourced from Needle in a Haystack.
Visual Recap of the process:
And somewhere in my many files there’s a photo of the matching pillow. I will add it to the port when I finally come across it.
(Five minutes later) I found the pillow pic!
The Baa’s Have It Pillow
I have all the sashing on and the rows together! I was going to put a border on but love the way it looks as it is. So that makes another top done! The fabric I was going to use for the border is now going to be the backing. I’m toying with a couple different ideas for the border.
All nine rows are assembled with blocks and sashing. Now to cut the sashing that goes between the rows. Once that is done and all stitched together, I will move on to the borders.
Last two shapes filled in.
Another shape filled in.
I was able to work for a bit tonight. I think the quilting is about 1/4 done.
After a few hours of yard work today, I’ve cleaned up and am back to hand quilting my mystery project. Here’s an image from the back.