I hadn’t realized it had been so long since my last post. A lot has happened in the last year though the majority of it in the months since January. Some of that requires a separate post. Most of it is stuff we are all dealing with.
Early in the year, late January or early February, the munchkin and I went by our local Beverly’s. They had lost their lease and were closing up shop so we visited for a last time. There was some fabric that munchkin really liked and asked for a quilt out of it. I finally sat down and made it today.
He’s happy to have it and only agreed to be in the picture if he didn’t have to show his face.
Here is the Candy Pop Quilt all done! It is machine quilted using my Singer 401A and a wide zig zag style stitch. Took a bit of a short cut and folded the backing over as the binding as I just loved the fabric.
And here it is hanging on the new to me quilt rack.
The mystery quilt was packed up and shipped off in November, not directly to its intended recipient but to a nearby family member who was in on the surprise. Jane had agreed to properly wrap it and deliver to Beth for Christmas. Since it has been received, I can share full pictures.
This is my own design. I looked long and hard for fabric that had sheep that was not meant for a nursery and finally found just what I wanted on eQuilter.com. I ended up sourcing all the cuts from them that I needed, and as I tend to do, overbought slightly, but that meant oopsies weren’t causing stress. The batting is Warm & Natural Cotton batting. This I buy off the bolt when I have those 50% off coupons from Joann’s and get several yards of the largest width available. The woolly sheep shapes are all appliqued onto the black and red checkered background (one is actually reversed applique). The quilting was all done by hand using variegated perle cotton in sizes 16, 12 and 8 and selections of red/black or white/black cuts. The size 16 is a Presencia Finca thread and the 12 and 8 are Valdani – all sourced from Needle in a Haystack.
Visual Recap of the process:
And somewhere in my many files there’s a photo of the matching pillow. I will add it to the port when I finally come across it.
All the quilting and binding are done and it even got packaged and shipped off. Here is a shot of the back. I hand quilted using three sizes of perle cotton: 8, 12, and 16. The size 16 is a variegated black/ grey/ white from Finca. The size 8 and 12 were also variegated in black/ red and black / grey/ white from Valdani.
The latest quilt top to go under my needle. I am using the new to me 401 to piece it. The first set of blocks is assembled. Three more to go. While I’m stitching I’m considering putting sashing between the blocks.