Tag Archives: beads

Summer of Art

No work has been done on the mystery quilt in several days as other things have taken our attention.  For instance, this past weekend the clouds and fog decided to clear out and give us nice sunny days.  Happened last weekend too.

The previous weekend gardening happened with lots of weeding required and adding some color via new flowering plants.

The new annuals were a side effect of seeing them at the hardware store where we acquired fishing line.  That with the addition of crimping beads and the bead stash lead to a creative Sunday morning making sun catchers with the munchkin.

 

Then yesterday after school and while dinner was in the oven, we put together the terrarium using glassware found at the thrift shop along with bought and found sand, shells, twigs and moss.  We even added a little live spider plant.

After dinner, I spent some time with my Featherweight and home decor fabric to make a start market bags.  One is done except for 1.5″ of stitching which is where my bobbin ran out of thread.

 

I have enough material for 12 at this size.  I am considering making a couple larger.  We shall see.  There’s even a crochet one in progress.

Somewhere in all of this we’ve also pulled out watercolor paints and played with them.

 

We have plans for clay, potentially more terrariums (depending on what containers we can find at the thrift shops) and sun catchers and, as always, more quilting & sewing.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Arts & Crafts, Crochet, Gardening, Quilting, Sewing

Patching, Building, Organizing

Today seems to have been sort of catch up on things day. Normal household stuff got done then diverted elsewhere. Upon getting the laundry folded, I found a couple pairs of munchkin’s pants that need patching. That got done. Amazingly I had some orange fabric that perfectly matched the orange pants. That is excessively rare for the non denim stuff, not that he wears denim anymore. Started refusing to wear jeans at all a little over a year ago. It isn’t a hill to die on.

After that was a trip to Beverly’s to either get a second rotary cutter or new blade(s) for the old one. This happened since the blades I ordered online had a different center than the cutter I have. As the new blades are nearly $9 for a single blade and a second cutter was $17, I opted for the cutter since I have a 10-pack of thise blades. Storage boxes were on sale and I picke up a couple to try to organize the mess that is my floss and beads. Well, the floss is definitely worse off.

boxes

A couple more stops before we came home, and I was suddenly motivated to finish that over-the-sink shelf for the kitchen that I started last year. The boards were cut and varnished, but I hadn’t bothered to assemble them yet. I finally did that, and I’m very pleased with how it turned out. I’ve some knick knacks on it for now. I plan to pull out my seeds and see if I can’t get a herb and/or salad garden going there.

shelf1

shelf2

Yes, this is procrastinating of a sort. The Dragon Fruit quilt is at a bit of an impasse as I vacillate between putting the blocks together then quilting or using a quilt-as you-go method. Also, with dull rotary blades, the inner border pieces were not coming along very quickly.

Leave a comment

Filed under Beading, Needlework, Organization, Uncategorized