I have recently taken on some commission work of turning completed needlepoint canvases into pillows for a neighbor. It started with 4 canvases and a couple more have been added. Three are done and given back to her. Two are on the blocking board. The last came in when I gave her the first 3 and still needs to be blocked. It’s been fun digging through the stash to find the right backing and, in one case so far, trim.
Here are the three that are done.
The mystery quilt was packed up and shipped off in November, not directly to its intended recipient but to a nearby family member who was in on the surprise. Jane had agreed to properly wrap it and deliver to Beth for Christmas. Since it has been received, I can share full pictures.
This is my own design. I looked long and hard for fabric that had sheep that was not meant for a nursery and finally found just what I wanted on eQuilter.com. I ended up sourcing all the cuts from them that I needed, and as I tend to do, overbought slightly, but that meant oopsies weren’t causing stress. The batting is Warm & Natural Cotton batting. This I buy off the bolt when I have those 50% off coupons from Joann’s and get several yards of the largest width available. The woolly sheep shapes are all appliqued onto the black and red checkered background (one is actually reversed applique). The quilting was all done by hand using variegated perle cotton in sizes 16, 12 and 8 and selections of red/black or white/black cuts. The size 16 is a Presencia Finca thread and the 12 and 8 are Valdani – all sourced from Needle in a Haystack.
Visual Recap of the process:
And somewhere in my many files there’s a photo of the matching pillow. I will add it to the port when I finally come across it.
(Five minutes later) I found the pillow pic!
The Baa’s Have It Pillow