Monthly Archives: May 2017

Mystery WIP progress pic 7

Another shape filled in.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Quilting, Works In Progress

Mystery WIP progress pic 6

From the front this time.

1 Comment

Filed under Quilting, Works In Progress

Mystery WIP progress pic 5

I was able to work for a bit tonight. I think the quilting is about 1/4 done.

Leave a comment

Filed under Quilting, Works In Progress

Mystery WIP progress pic 4

Another shape “filled in”.

Leave a comment

Filed under Quilting, Works In Progress

A bit of mending

I have these dress slacks that have needed attention for some time.  A few years ago, long enough that I can’t remember who was the culprit anymore, one of the cats decided to climb the clothing in the closet.  The bottom few inches of these pants were ruined with snags and rips.  Being that this was a really nice, high quality pair being fully lined, I couldn’t stand the idea of just tossing them.  At some point I did cut off the ruined portions.  The remainder has been haunting my studio since.  I had the glimmerings of an idea last night a dug through my box of trims and some trim grab bags I had.  This morning, I converted that idea into reality.  I hemmed both pants and lining, and added a bit of fun trim to the pants hems.  Now they are capris and have touch of seam lace that peaks out just below the hem and a small band of black and white gingham.  I’m quite pleased with the results and have already imagined outfit pairings.

Leave a comment

Filed under Needlework, Sewing

Quick Cushion

I needed an “instant gratification” project as the mystery quilt is taking time.  Not just in the quilting of it, but the cats keep deciding it’s the purrfect place to snooze, so I keep having to clean the fur off of it.  Stinkers.

Munchkin had a little upholstered stool that at some point recently became highly unstable.  Some part of its structure was broken and it had to go in the bin.  We were out at Cost Plus today and saw this small rattan stool and accompanying cushion.  They were, of course, sold separately.  And the cost of the cushion, well, it was hard to justify knowing that I have a towering boxes of fabric, both new cuts and stuff to be re- or up-cycled.

I knew before we got home what I wanted to use.  The box of denim pieces.  Only a small bit of cutting was required as much of it was cut already.  I threw some random pieces together, and stitched them up to make two pieces that could accommodate 18″ circle cuts.  I laid them down right sides together, and marked 4 cardinal points then drew arcs connecting them to make the circle.  I pinned it, with different ones to call out the turning opening.  I stitched the circled twice just to be sure, took out the pins, turned it and stuffed it with a combination of poly fill and cuttings not suitable for scraps (selvages and the like).  A quick whip stitch sealed it up, and now we have a cushion for considerably less.

And it was a fun little quick project.

1 Comment

Filed under Needlework, Quilting